Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Another Brick in the Wall (part 2)

I acquired my second mahjong set in San Francisco's China Town for USD 20. It's a travel set with quite small plastic tiles, 17 x 23 x 13 mm. I believe I bought in December 2001, but it might have been the year before. (I was at the fall meeting of the American Geophysical Union for three years in a row, 1999-2001).


The set has served me faithfully while travelling to tournaments and has been inspected by various airport security staff. It's important, of course, to carry it in the hand luggage for when the plane gets delayed. The plastic case turned out to be not very durable for travelling, and has been repaired thoroughly with duct tape, and the trays I made myself with cardboard and a stapler.


Mostly the set has been used in trains, going to tournaments. Trains to Ã…rhus and trains to Germany. For trains, it is recommended to bring racks for the tiles (we don't usually use racks, but in trains they are convenient). The coming months has two long train rides coming: for the MCR tournament in Edewecht in May and the European Riichi Championship in Hannover in June, and my Chinatown travel set will surely come along.

No comments: